I’ve been thinking about music recently and how it can add a real personal element to your wedding. My playlist is a huge mix of modern pop songs, music from my clubbing days and music that reminds me of specific events with my husband. For me I love going for a long walk with my dog whilst listening to my playlist, I think the combination of music and exercise can relieve us of every day stress as instead you start remembering a time in your life that featured that particular song. Perhaps the song was playing in a club where you met your partner or from your first holiday together?
As you can imagine, with 10 years as a wedding planner, there are times when clients choose the same songs for their wedding. This will always make me smile as hearing certain songs will inevitably remind me of certain clients, here are my favourites.
- Jack Johnson, Better Together – many a first dances to this song
- Gabrielle, Dreams can come true – reminds me of Poppy who married in 2011 as this was her precessional, this was sung by a gospel choir and sounded wonderful
- Stevie Wonder, Signed Sealed Delivered – a number of clients have had this for their recessional sung by gospel choirs
- Etta James, At Last – used by a few clients for their recessional
- Des’ree, Kissing You – one client in September 2013 had their first dance to this, another in December used it for her precessional
- Elbow, One Day Like This – Allison and Neil used this for their recessional as performed by a string quartet
Photo by Kerry Morgan